Police say injured woman's claims over assault on Northampton footpath are 'false'

"Officers conducted thorough enquiries and are satisfied the circumstances are not as first reported," say police

Thursday, 29th July 2021, 1:30 pm

Police say a woman's claims she was attacked in a Northampton pathway earlier this month have turned out to be false.

Detectives investigating a report of sexual assault in Middlemead Court, Little Billing, issued an update today (Thrusday July 29) that they are no longer looking for an unidentified male in his 30s — but they are still investigating how the woman sustained a number of injures.

According to a police spokesman, the victim contacted police to say she had been attacked on July 19 on a pathway running between Middlemead Court and Hertford Court.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Detectives say a woman made false claims she had been attacked

She said her assailant was disturbed and ran off. But extensive enquiries have now shown that the incident did not take place as initially reported.

Detectives have issued an update on the case to provide reassurance to the public that the offender described in previous appeals for information is not at large and the incident is no longer being treated as a stranger sexual assault.

Detective Inspector Tim Craven, of Northampton CID, said: “Northamptonshire Police takes all reports of sexual violence very seriously and robustly investigates the circumstances of every reported offence.

“In this case, our officers have conducted thorough enquiries with the result that we are satisfied the circumstances of the case are not as first reported.

“We appreciate the natural concern that this report raised, and I hope our conclusion affords reassurance to the community, whose safety remains our priority.”