A 21-year-old man who carried out two “truly evil” violent sexual assaults on women in Northampton has been given an 11-year jail sentence.
Mohammed Haque, of Lindsay Avenue, Abington, Northampton, appeared at Northampton Crown Court after he pleaded guilty to five charges relating to two attacks on women in the town, one in November 2014 and one in January this year.
The court heard that Haque, who worked at Morrisons in the town centre, had clocked off from work shortly before 5am on November 10 and then travelled to the Racecourse area.
Gordon Aspen, prosecuting, said Haque had targeted a woman in her 50s who was walking round the park listening to music on an iPod.
Mr Aspen said the woman was dragged off the pavement into the park and subjected to a violent sexual assault.
When the woman attempted to get away, Haque sat on her back, pinning her to the floor, and then punched her in the face.
Mr Aspen said the attack lasted “two to three minutes” and DNA evidence was later found on the woman’s coat.
The second attack happened on January 25, this year after Haque forced his way into the home of an elderly woman in Westone, Northampton.
Mr Aspen said Haque admitted he had targeted the woman’s address because he had been “driving around the town” looking for a victim and he knew she was a pensioner.
The court heard Haque initially demanded money from the woman and she gave him £20.
However, he then forced her into a spare room in her house and sexually assaulted her after threatening her with a metal pole.
Haque again left DNA evidence at the scene and a police investigation revealed that a maroon Ford Fiesta, was involved in the second incident.
In the course of viiting all known people with maroon Fiestas, officers visited Haque’s address and took a DNA sample from him, which matched those collected from the scene.
At a hearing last month, Haque pleaded guilty to five charges including, sexual assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm, trespass with intent to commit a sexual offence, sexual assault and robbery.
Judge Michael Fowler sentenced Haque to 11 years in jail, with a further four years on licence. He is likely to serve two thirds of his sentence before he is considered for parole.
Judge Fowler said he believed Haque posed a “serious risk” to the public
He said: “It is rare to come across truly evil offences but these offences have that characteristics.
“The attack was every woman’s worst nightmare. You smothered and dragged away your victim and subjected her to the most frightening and demeaning sexual attack in which you used violence.
“I have no hesitation in concluding that you represent a significant risk of causing serious harm to a member of the public by commission of a specified offence.
“There is no obvious trigger for why you committed such serious offences, having never committed any offences before now. It is the lack of explanation for why you committed the offences that means you are clearly a risk of committing similar offences.”
Detective Inspector Lee McBride, who led the investigation into Haque, said he welcomed the sentence and paid tribute to the victims and their families for their support and courage in very difficult circumstances.
He said: “Mohammed Haque identified vulnerable women and committed heinous offences against them. He will now spend a significant time of his life in prison.
“The successful prosecution today is thanks to the victims, their families and the hard work of the investigative team for their persistence in identifying him.”