No action taken against three arrested after number of bin fires in Northamptonshire
Police say no further action has been taken with regard to the three people arrested after a number of arson attacks on bins in Wellingborough.
Two boys and one man were being questioned by police after three suspected arsons were carried out within a short period of time early yesterday morning (Wednesday).
At 1.50am, a crew from Wellingborough was called out to Gannet Lane where four large wheelie bins in a bin store, and the fence of the bin store, were damaged by fire.
Another fire took place in Brook Street East at 2.25am, where a wheelie bin was damaged by fire.
There was a third fire at 3am in The Embankment, where one bin had been set alight.
Three-year-old Callum Bland died nine years ago after a wheelie bin was set on fire outside his home in Fulmar Lane on the Hemmingwell estate.
Insp Lara Alexander-Lloyd said: “Whenever deliberate fires occur, each incident is treated seriously and we continue to work closely with Northamptonshire Fire & Rescue Service to investigate and deal with cases, as part of our ongoing work to help keep communities safe.”
Shaun Johnson, an officer in the joint arson task force (Northamptonshire Police and Northamptonshire Fire & Rescue Service), said: “We take all cases of arson seriously across the county and they are always investigated appropriately.
“Northamptonshire Fire & Rescue, including the arson task force, work closely with local authorities to keep people safe from deliberate fires.
“There are steps people can take to help deter arsonists from targeting their bins.
“We would urge people to put their bins out, where possible, on the day of collection and bring them in as soon as they have been emptied.”
Any witnesses or anyone with information about these incidents should contact police by ringing 101.