‘Mindless’ thug who left man with brain injury after violent attack in Northampton avoids jail

Crown Court GV'
Crown Court GV'

A jealous ex-boyfriend from Northampton who caused long-term damage to a man’s nervous system after he repeatedly punched him in the head has been given a suspended prison sentence.

Steven Thomas, aged 29, attacked the partner of his former girlfriend after he waited for him to return home on September 3 last year.

Northampton Crown Court heard Thomas had sent the victim a threatening message on Facebook the week before.

Stephen Lee, prosecuting, said Thomas punched the victim to the floor and then hit him a further 15 times before a neighbour came out and intervened.

The victim was concussed and suffered bruising and swelling to his face.

The court heard that he was suffering ongoing neurological problems as a result of the attack including dizziness, vertigo and severe headaches when focusing on a task for a short period of time.

The victim, who has a well paid job for a large American company, has been unable to return to work since the attack and fears he may lose his job.

A doctor treating the man says he is suffering from a post-concussion syndrome and it is hoped he will be able to make a full recovery in the next few months.

Richard Purchase, mitigating, said Thomas had been in a “dark place” at the time of the attack.

Mr Purchase said Thomas worked as butcher in Coventry and now had a new girlfriend and was living in a caravan in Billing Aquadrome.

Thomas pleaded guilty to a charge of causing actual bodily harm.

His Honour Judge Timothy Smith said he believed the offence was borne out of jealousy as Thomas thought the victim had “taken his place in the relationship with the woman”.

He said: “What happened was a disgraceful display of mindless thuggery.

“You launched a repeated assault and, but for the actions of the neighbour, the consequences could have been much worse.”

Thomas was sentenced to 10 months in prison, suspended for 18 months. He must complete 220 hours of unpaid work.

He was given a four-month curfew from 9pm to 4am. He must also pay the victim £1,200 compensation and he was given a restraining order banning him from contacting the victim.