A Premier League footballer has been banned from driving for six months after he failed to notify police who the driver was of a car caught speeding on the M1 in Northamptonshire.
Riyad Mahrez, who plays for league leaders Leicester City, was sentenced at Northampton Magistrates’ Court today after the incident on May 11 last year.
The court heard a Mercedes car registered to the 25-year-old, who did not attend court, travelled through the roadworks area of the M1 in Northamptonshire, which is restricted to 50mph, at a speed of 77mph.
Mahrez was charged with failing to give information relating to the identification of the driver after he failed to respond to Northamptonshire Police on three occasions.
John McCann, prosecuting, said all the correspondence was sent to Mahrez’s address in Leicester.
The case was adjourned for a trial following a court hearing on January 29 but, Mahrez’s lawyer Imogen Cox informed the court today her client wished to plead guilty to one charge of failing to give information relating to the identification of the driver on October 16 last year.
Ms Cox said her client’s weekly wage was “above the level for the maximum fine” and said he would be able to pay any fine “within the day”.
Magistrates fined Mahrez £900. He must also pay £150 costs and £90 victim surcharge.
He was also given six points on his licence which, due to the fact he already has nine points, meant he was above the 12-point threshold that triggers a disqualification period.
Ms Cox said Mahrez, who reportedly earns £55,000 a week, was aware he would be disqualified from driving and did not want to put forward an argument it would cause him “exceptional hardship”.
Magistrates, who said they had taken into account his guilty plea, gave Mahrez a six-month driving ban.
Mahrez has 24 caps for the Algerian national team and has been tipped to be named Premier League Player of the Season after scoring 16 goals for Leicester City, who are currently seven points clear at the top of the table.