Dangerous driver jailed after he fled scene of crash on Northamptonshire road

A driver who crashed his car on the A14 while over the alcohol limit and then drove away from the scene has been jailed for five months.

Saturday, 30th July 2016, 6:05 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 8:48 pm
Northampton Crown Court

Forden Kangausaru, aged 34, was more than twice the legal alcohol limit when his car collided with a barrier on the A14 near Kettering on January 31.

Northampton Crown Court heard another motorist came across Kangausaru’s crashed car at about 6.30am.

Lynsey Knott, prosecuting, said the man got out of his car and went over to check if Kangausaru was ok.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The court heard that Kangausaru “smelt of alcohol” and he said to the man “look how much trouble I am in.”

Ms Knott said Kangausaru then reversed his vehicle and drove away from the scene.

She said: “The other motorist was concerned by this and he followed him. His passenger phoned the police and kept them updated about his location.

The court heard Kangausaru’s vehicle travelled at speeds in excess of 70mph and he went through a red traffic light and the wrong way around a mini roundabout.

He eventually stopped his vehicle after two-and-a-half miles and was arrested by police.

He gave officers a reading of 84 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millitres of breath. The legal limit is 35.

Kangausaru pleaded guilty to charges of driving whilst over the alcohol limit and dangerous driving.

The court heard Kangausaru had a previous conviction for driving whilst over the alcohol limit in 2010.

Matthew Kirk, mitigating, said his client was a “very impressive man” who earned £86,000 as a software designer and a custodial sentence would put his job at risk.

His Honour Judge Rupert Mayo said he believed it had been a “serious” incident of bad driving as Kangausaru had attempted to avoid prosecution.

He said: “This was a very serious and unpleasant episode of dangerous driving.”

Kangausaru, of Stotfold in Bedfordshire, was sentenced in five months in prison. He is likely to serve half in custody before being released on licence. He was banned from driving for three years. He must pay £200 costs.