Court hears desperate 999 call from Rushden teen after mum lies stabbed

editorial image

A judge ordered that a 999 call by a 14-year-old girl who feared her mum was dying from stab wounds be played in open court.

The harrowing call was made after Riza Guzelyurt had stabbed the girl’s mum - his ex-girlfriend - at least nine times in front of her and her 13-year-old brother as they left for school from their home in Coltsfoot Road, Rushden.

Before Guzelyurt was sentenced yesterday, Northampton Crown Court court heard a recording of the girl sobbing and begging the call handler to send help, saying: “There’s blood everywhere.

“He had a massive, massive knife.

“I can see her, she’s lying on the floor now.”

Judge Rupert Mayo said that the girl would have known full well that her mum was on the brink, but can be heard comforting her younger brother, telling him their mum wouldn’t die.

Judge Mayo said the girl had since suffered mental health problems after the severe trauma of that day and the family were forced to live in a refuge.

He said: “They saw their mum hacked down by someone they had spent family time with.”

Yesterday, laying out Guzelyurt’s ‘narcissistic and arrogant’ character, Judge Mayo made particular mention of the 30-year-old’s chilling actions in the dock when he was found guilty by an emotional jury on Friday.

The judge had warned him to expect a life sentence but he replied in Turkish: “It doesn’t matter, she’ll see this face again.”

Judge Mayo said: “This caused the complainant huge distress, as it did the interpreter, and it was nothing more than a bullying gesture.”

Judge Mayo summed up the case as he sentenced Guzelyurt, aged 30, describing how he harassed and intimidated his ex-girlfriend as he believed - wrongly - she had aborted their baby, and tried to make her drop assault charges by posting intimate photos online and making thinly veiled threats to kill her.

On the night of March 18 2015 - having apparently tried to disable CCTV cameras earlier in the day - he repeatedly tried to shoulder the front door of the house where his ex and her two children lived in Coltsfoot Road, which she was to later tell police made her convinced he would kill the entire family.

Police were called and were unable to find him, but Guzelyurt was undeterred and the next morning was spotted by a panicked neighbour, lurking round the corner.

The court heard how while the neighbour was on the phone to police, to her horror she spotted the family leaving the house and rapped on the window to alert them.

The ex-husband tried to herd them back inside but Guzelyurt pounced and attacked the woman.

He stabbed her in the street nine times but caused a total of 11 wounds to her neck, chest, legs and arms as the blade went clean through her limbs when she tried to deflect the blows.

Judge Mayo said he was quite certain that, had the woman’s ex-husband not acted heroically in flicking away the knife with his sweatshirt, Guzelyurt would have continued until she was dead.

In the event, he walked off and his victim managed to stagger to a neighbour’s house where she collapsed and was treated by neighbours before being airlifted to hospital in Coventry.

Police found the suspect in Jubilee Park in the town the same day and arrested him for attempted murder.

Yesterday (Monday) he was given a life sentence and cannot be eligible for parole for at least 14 years.

Judge Mayo also imposed a restraining order until further notice, forbidding him to contact the victim, her two children and her former husband.