A coroner has issued another warning about the dangers of co-sleeping with young children after a four-month-old baby boy died in his Northampton home.
Paramedics were called out to an address in Duston on February 14 following a report that a baby had stopped breathing.
Giving evidence at an inquest at Northampton General Hospital on Wednesday, paramedic Christopher Davis said emergency resuscitation was carried out on the baby.
The young boy was then taken to hospital but doctors were unable to save his life.
The father of the baby said he had returned from work in the early hours of the morning and had slept on the sofa so as not to disturb his partner, who was sleeping in their bed with the young baby.
He said he was woken several hours later by the sound of his girlfriend screaming at him because the baby was not breathing.
In her evidence, the mother said she had regularly co-slept with her son, despite the fact she had been advised against this by her health visitor.
The mother said she had two large glasses of wine and a small whisky before falling asleep with her baby in a king-sized bed.
Dr Nikola Ostojic, who carried out the post-mortem examination of the baby, said he could not establish an exact cause of death but said co-sleeping, especially with a parent that had drunk alcohol, was a significant “risk factor” for sudden unexplained baby deaths.
County coroner Anne Pember said: “The public should be made aware that co-sleeping with a baby is not a safe environment. This is aggravated by a parent that has been drinking alcohol.” This is the third inquest in two months that the coroner has issued a warning on co-sleeping with a baby.
Mrs Pember recorded an open verdict.