Convicted killer jailed again for stabbing in Kettering where everyone involved was ‘too drunk’ to remember what happened

A man has been jailed over a stabbing at a home in Kettering where everyone involved was “too drunk” to remember what happened.

Friday, 5th April 2019, 6:26 pm
Updated Friday, 5th April 2019, 6:32 pm
Convicted killer Rodney Smith is behind bars again after stabbing a man in Kettering last year.
Convicted killer Rodney Smith is behind bars again after stabbing a man in Kettering last year.

No one truly knows what happened in the early hours of September 16 last year when police found Rodney Smith, 30, slumped near a Tesco on Windmill Avenue, Kettering, and bleeding from his hand.

Northampton Crown Court heard today (April 5) how police followed the trail of blood back to a nearby house - where a man opened the door shirtless and bleeding from a stab wound to his chest.

But when officers investigated the attack, they found neither the victim, Smith or his girlfriend knew clearly what happened.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

His Honour Judge Michael Fowler said: “In reality, all parties involved in that evening were so drunk they can’t give an account of what occurred.”

The court heard Smith, who is from Bedford, and his partner were reportedly invited into her house by the victim to carry on drinking and even spend the night.

That is where the known facts in the case end.

During the evening, Smith reportedly reacted to a “perceived threat” to his partner and used a knife taken from the house to stab the victim in the chest and arm.

He then fled the house with his partner and was found by the Tesco by police.

Meanwhile, the victim had suffered a 4cm long, 1cm deep stab wound to the chest that needed stitches.

Smith later pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and admitted he would have been the one to cause the injuries.

However, Smith has a previous conviction for manslaughter in 2007 when he punched and kicked a man to death - meaning the judge today had to extend his sentence on the ground he was ‘dangerous’ and likely to offend again.

Smith was handed an extended sentence of five and a half years with three years on licence when he is released.