Boy, aged one, taken to hospital after smoke grenade ignites in Northampton flatblock
Firefighters are investigating a possible arson attack after a smoke grenade was set off in a block of flats in Northampton.
Emergency services were called to Ellfield Court in Lings at about 8.30pm last night (Sunday), after reports that a smoke grenade had gone off in a ground floor corridor.
A Northamptonshire Police spokeswoman said: "A few moments after the smoke grenade had been thrown, smoke started to filter through internal doors and set off the smoke detectors.
"The fire service recovered a smoke grenade... which was seized."
Tyler Kay was in a top-floor flat with son Coby, aged one. He said: "The smoke started to come under the door and fill the flat. I didn't think it was a fire but I wasn't completely sure so I called the fire service"
Tyler and Coby escaped down the stairs after fire crews arrived.
He said he was annoyed that someone could have set off the smoke grenades - which can be bought on the high street for as little as £3 for use in team shooting sport Airsoft - as they can easily start a fire.
Tyler said: "When they are first ignited, there's a few seconds when they are like a sparkler. If there's anything flammable near by, it would just go up in flames.
"I do Airsoft and I've used them before, they can be fun. But smoke grenades set off in a block of flats is really dangerous."
The spokeswoman added: "Police are currently investigating the incident with an open mind and as a potential arson attempt - anyone with information should call us on the usual numbers."