Boy, 11, who died from severe burns in Crick named by British Transport Police

An 11-year-old boy who died after he was electrocuted at a rail depot near Crick has been named.

Wednesday, 28th June 2017, 5:08 pm
Updated Thursday, 31st August 2017, 3:03 pm
An 11-year-old boy died from severe burns at this site late yesterday afternoon.

Rescue crews dashed to the Daventry International Rail Freight Depot, just before 5.20pm on Tuesday, June 27 and found Harrison Ballantyne who had suffered severe electrical burns.

Despite paramedics from the East Midlands Ambulance Service desperately trying to save him, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

His death is currently being treated as unexplained as enquiries continue.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The boy has today been named by British Transport Police.

It is thought Harrison may have jumped up onto a parked engine and hit overhead cables while trying to retrieve a football.

Dave Warner, 30, who lives in the nearby village of Crick, said: “He was apparently trying to retrieve a football when he was electrocuted.

“God only knows what he was doing in the rail depot, it’s in the middle of nowhere really but there are fields at the back of the depot so maybe he was playing in there.

“My local paperboy is best friends with Harrison. I’m told a group of them all walked along a bridleway on their way to Kilsby.

The boy has today been named by British Transport Police.

“The rail line runs next to the bridleway so he must have strayed onto that. It’s tragic and a real cloud has descended over the village.

“From what people have said in the village, Harrison was a lovely, funny and popular lad. It’s so awful his young life was just snuffed out just like that.”

Harrison was a pupil at Guilsborough Academy School, Superintendent Chris Hodgkiss for British Transport Police confirmed.

Detective Inspector Gareth Davies, of British Transport Police, said: “Our thoughts are with the family of this young boy during what must be an incredibly difficult time.

“I have specially trained officers supporting the family as they try to come to terms with this awful news.

“Our focus is now fixed on understanding exactly what happened and how this young boy came to receive these awful injuries.

“Therefore, I would be looking to hear from anyone who may have seen a young boy enter this depot at around 5pm.

“If you were in the area or have any information, no matter how small, please do get in touch as soon as possible.

“The family will be desperate for answers and we will be working tirelessly to get them answers they will be seeking.”