Alive at Delapre concerts attract 13,000 people to Northampton

Alive at Delapre 2014 saw crowds of 13,000
Alive at Delapre 2014 saw crowds of 13,000

More than 13,000 people attended the three Alive at Delapre concerts during the weekend.

Simple Minds, Here & Now 80s night and Boyzone saw thousands of people descend on Delapre Park on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

One family even travelled from as far away as Belgium to see Boyzone.

Cllr David Mackintosh, leader of Northampton Borough Council, said: “More than 13,000 people attended the three Alive at Delapre gigs this weekend both from Northampton and outside the area, including one family who had travelled from Belgium just to see Boyzone.

“This is a great way to promote tourism in Northampton and to raise awareness of Delapre Park and Abbey as a venue.”

Cllr Mackintosh apologised on Saturday for the delays in providing drinks at the Simple Minds concert on Friday night.

Disgruntled drinkers faced long queues at the beer tent, with some waiting over an hour to be served which meant they missed a large chunk of the concert.

Cllr Mackintosh said there was a fault with one of the three pumps at the bar and stressed it wasn’t due to bad planning.

Ticketholders weren’t allowed to take their own food and drinks into Delapre Abbey this year due to an agreement with the event promoters.

Cllr Mackintosh said: “The bar operator experienced some problems on Friday night but changes were made to the set up and these were not repeated on Saturday and Sunday, and visitors on all three nights heard a great range of music in a beautiful parkland setting.

“We have received lots of feedback over the weekend and we will be taking that into account as we consider our events programme for next year.”

Northamptonshire Police said they were called to Delapre Abbey just twice during the weekend, with an additional report of a lost mobile phone on Sunday night.

A spokesman said that there was an alleged assault at the Simple Minds concert on Friday night which is now being investigated.

Officers were also called to the venue on Sunday night ahead of the Boyzone concert to assist security guards who were throwing a man out.