Former Saint Ma’afu faces uncertain future at Toulon after assault conviction

Salesi Ma'afu left Saints for Toulon during the summer (picture: Linda Dawson)

Salesi Ma'afu left Saints for Toulon during the summer (picture: Linda Dawson)

1
Have your say

Former Saints prop faces an uncertain future at Toulon after being hit with a four-month suspended sentence and fined 1,500 Euros for an altercation in a car park.

Ma’afu attended a hearing on Tuesday and was convicted of assaulting a young woman in a dispute over a parking space at Mourillon beaches on August 16.

French prosecutors had requesed an eight-month jail term as well as the 1,500 Euros fine, but the former Australia international’s punishment was to be less severe.

The 32-year-old appears likely to appeal against the sentence and fine, but Toulon, who signed Ma’afu from Saints during the summer, could still take action against him.

Club president Mourad Boudjellal had hinted that he would take strong action should the player be convicted.

On Monday, Boujellal said: “If tomorrow he was not presumed guilty, we will be advised in relation to what happened, but for now I expect the position of justice.

“I said earlier this season that I will not accept any overflow.

“Does the Ma’afu case have an overflow or not? It is justice that will tell us.”