Hackett’s howler ensures Cobblers pay penalty at Bury

Clive Platt rues a missed chance during the Cobblers' 1-1 draw at Bury (pictures: Kirsty Edmonds)

Clive Platt rues a missed chance during the Cobblers' 1-1 draw at Bury (pictures: Kirsty Edmonds)


Chris Hackett missed a penalty but provided the pinpoint accurate free-kick from which Bury scored an own goal in a draw with the Cobblers.

Town and the Shakers shared the spoils in a 1-1 stalemate at Gigg Lane, Dean Howell diverting Hackett’s free-kick into his own net to cancel out Danny Nardiello’s penalty.

That spot-kick was given for a handball against Ricky Ravenhill, while the one Hackett missed came about when William Edjenguele brought down Izale McLeod in first-half stoppage time.

It almost became a tale of three penalties when substitute Roy O’Donovan went to ground in the third minute of time added on but referee Nigel Miller waved away the appeals and the match ended in a draw.

The first good chance of the game came 15 minutes into it, and went the way of Bury despite the Cobblers being in the attacking position.

A good Hackett corner was excellently defended at the near post and Chris Sedgwick broke at speed before playing a square pass for Nardiello, Matt Duke reading it and diverting the cross against the striker and out of play.

The incident which gave the hosts the chance to take the lead came out of nowhere - the ball bounced around in the box amid a group of players and referee Miller adjudged Ravenhill to have played it with his hand.

From 12 yards, Nardiello opted for power over placement and beat Duke, who had dived to his left.

But it lasted just five minutes; the Town response was good and Hackett won a free-kick on the right-hand edge of the box after a puncturing run.

The winger himself swung the ball into the box with deadly accuracy, it skimmed off the head of left-back Howell and into the far corner of the net.

Duke was called upon to produce an excellent save towards the end of the first half, repelling what looked like a certain second goal for Nardiello after a slicing Shaun Beeley run down the right wing.

Despite that, Town had the perfect chance to take the lead in first-half injury time when Edjenguele foolishly clattered McLeod two yards inside the box.

Like Nardiello, Hackett opted for power too but drilled his effort well over the bar.

The Cobblers were more of a force in the second half and McLeod himself almost gave them the advantage with a poked attempt that Brian Jensen was quickly off his line to block.

A better chance came their way in the 89th minute when Kevin Amankwaah hooked a clearance over the advancing defence for Mathias Doumbe to flick a boot at and divert the ball past Jensen.

But it drifted wide of the mark and the honours were shared.

Bury: Jensen, Beeley, Cameron, Edjenguele, Howell, Sedgwick, Miller, Soares, Jones, Harrad, Nardiello

Subs: Grimes (for Soares 46), Mayor (for Harrad 67), Procter (for Sedgwick 78)

Not used: Forrester, Navas, Lainton, Walker

Cobblers: Duke, Amankwaah, Reid, Doumbe, Widdowson, Hackett, Ravenhill, Morris, Dallas, McLeod, Platt

Subs: O’Donovan (for McLeod 79)

Not used: McNamara, Collins, Blyth, Norris, Emerton, Deegan

Attendance: 2,835

Away fans: 207

Referee: Nigel Miller




Back to the top of the page