VIDEO: Fire rips through Northampton car showroom after flames spread from charging battery

0
Have your say

Owners of a Northampton car lot have thanked firefighters for their quick response after flames spread from a charging lithium battery and damaged six vehicles on the forecourt.

Emergency services were called to SJN Motors, in Harlestone Road, last night shortly before 6pm.

SJN Motors fire. Picture submitted by Julia Railson.

SJN Motors fire. Picture submitted by Julia Railson.

Flames had spread from the showroom’s office and tripped a fire alarm, prompting Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service to swoop on the scene within minutes.

Four fire engines attended from Long Buckby, The Mounts, and Moulton, and firefighters wearing breating apparatus entered the building, which had filled with black smoke, and extinguished the flames.

Fortunately no one was hurt and due to the quick response of the alarm security firm and the fire service, a potentially major incident was averted.

Julia Railson, who owns the car lot with her husband, Malcolm, said the quick response helped to save the building and the business.

A fire caused extensive damage to SJN Motors in Northampton last night.

A fire caused extensive damage to SJN Motors in Northampton last night.

She said: “We would like to give a ‘huge thank you’ to the fire service for their fantastic work in putting out the fire and clearing the smoke.

“The whole team at SJN has really pulled together and we are so pleased that no one was hurt and the show will go on.

“The fire caused extensive internal smoke damage and one office has been ‘destroyed’,” Mrs Railson said, but the rest of the site has survived.

She said several staff members worked through the night to set up a temporary sales centre in the front office to ensure ‘business as usual’ from today.

Fortunately, none of the cars that have been purchased for a Christmas delivery were affected.