Northampton couple Paul and Sandra Dunham have been refused bail after a US judge said the couple would be a ‘flight risk’.
The couple of Collingtree, lost their battle against extradition to the United States last week and are currently being held in separate detention centres.
They appeared at 11am US time, 4pm UK time, in front of magistrate judge Jillyn Schulze at the US District Court in Greenbelt as part of a $1.4m (£833,000) fraud and money-laundering case.
It is understood friends of the couple had agreed to pay for their bail should it have been granted.
On Friday the Dunhams finally learned the full extent of the charges they are accused of, when a 13 count indictment was ‘unsealed’ at a district court hearing.
It alleges that between 2002 and 2009, the couple, both 58, fraudulently charged personal expenses to their corporate credit cards and submitted vouchers to PACE, a US manufacturing company of which Mr Dunham was president, for reimbursement that falsely described them as business expenses.
The indictment also alleges the couple fraudulently billed PACE Europe for business expenses already paid by PACE, Inc, obtaining duplicate reimbursements.
Items they were said to have claimed for included, a dog sofa and pet residence, weekly grocery expenses, art work, home cleaning, remodelling services and airline tickets.
The couple have previously argued the spending was sanctioned by PACE’s board and that auditors raised no objections.