Residents of a Northamptonshire village who feared the area could be “destroyed” by housing plans have been told the homes may never be built.
The West Northamptonshire Joint Planning Unit (JPU) which is drawing up expansion plans for Northampton, Daventry and Towcester, had suggested 750 new houses could be built close to Harlestone.
On top of that, it was feared an extra 200 houses could be built on a piece of land the JPU previously earmarked as a site for a park and ride, close to Harlestone Heath Garden Centre.
Councillor Steve Osborne (Con, Long Buckby) who represents the area on Northamptonshire County Council, warned the development of 950 homes close to a village which currently only has 400 residents would radically alter the area.
He said: “Harlestone is a beautiful village with thatched cottages and listed buildings. It’s already planned to have an extra 750 houses on the edge of it, and residents are now really worried this extra site could also be built on.”
But Daventry District Council member, Councillor Ken Melling (Con, Ravensthorpe), who is also a member of the JPU, said he believed any development on the park and ride site was unlikely.
He said: “Daventry council, who will make the final decision on any development, have said that land is not for housing. They’ve said they want it to stay available for park and ride.
“So it looks, at the moment, as if those 200 houses will hit the buffer. And as for the other 750 houses, a lot of people in Harlestone are not too bothered about those as they don’t impact on the village directly.”
The JPU’s expansion plans are out to public consultation until September 26.