Northamptonshire libraries will be holding volunteer events throughout next week to help inspire people to get more involved in their community.
As part of National Volunteer’s Week (June 1-7), Northamptonshire County Council has organised the events in aim to continue supporting the 800 volunteers who already work in various services across the county.
Over the last few years, volunteers have been sharing their time and skills to support the community through Northamptonshire’s 36 libraries, whether through running family activities, offering literacy or IT support or making deliveries to housebound customers.
Cabinet member for public health and wellbeing, councillor Robin Brown, said: “Our library volunteers demonstrate the difference that a volunteering scheme can make, not just to council services but also to the local community. It’s also hugely rewarding for the volunteers themselves as by getting involved they are able to develop their skills, meet new people and support others in their communities.”
Northamptonshire has planned 25 events for Volunteer’s Week, including:
* A volunteering fair at Northampton’s Central Library on Monday, June 2 from 11am to 2pm, organised in collaboration with Northampton Volunteering Centre.
* A volunteering and skills fair at Kettering Library on Friday, June 6 from 11am to 2pm, with organisations including Northamptonshire Police, Job Centre Plus, Evolve Your Future and the Kettering Voluntary Network.
* Daventry Volunteer’s Centre and the county council will be available at Daventry Library’s Volunteering Open Day on Tuesday, June 3 from 11am to 3pm.
* Nene Valley Community Action and the county council will be available at Rushden Library on Wednesday, June 4 between 11am and 3pm.
* South Northamptonshire Volunteer Bureau and the county council will be available at Towcester Library on Thursday, June 5 between 11am and 3pm.
* Wellingborough Library’s Volunteering Open Day will take place on Saturday, June 7, joined by the Northamptonshire Association of Youth Clubs and others to showcase opportunities for people to gain skills.
* Library staff and volunteers will be on hand at Corby Library on Saturday, June 7 to talk to customers about volunteering from 11am-3pm.
There will also be a series of drop in events in other libraries where people can see volunteers in action, leading activities and talking about their experiences.
For further information, pop into your local library or visit: www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/getinvolved