More children allocated first-choice secondary school place in Northamptonshire this year

Northamptonshire County Council says 82 per cent of pupils received their first-choice secondary school place.
Northamptonshire County Council says 82 per cent of pupils received their first-choice secondary school place.
0
Have your say

Four-out-of-five pupils in Northamptonshire will be going to their first choice secondary school this September, according to council figures.

Secondary school places were allocated to more than 8,000 pupils across Northamptonshire last week - 300 more than last year.

While there was initial frustration for parents on the morning of the annoucement when Northamptonshire County Council's applications website crashed, the authority says the proportion of families securing a place at their first choice school rose to 82 per cent, up from 80 per cent last year.

There was also an increase in the number of families being offered a place at one of their preferred schools – 96 per cent compared with 95 per cent last year.

County council cabinet member for education, Councillor Matthew Golby, said: “This year has seen the demand for school places continue to rise in Northamptonshire, yet I’m pleased to say that we have been able to offer 96% of families a place at one of their preferred schools.

“This is testament to the commitment of the county council and our partners to provide more school places across the county to ensure we are able to meet parental preference as much as possible.”

Any families who are unhappy with the place they have been allocated can appeal through the independent appeals process.

The next round of secondary school place allocations for late applicants will take place in April.

Primary school allocations will be announced on April 18.

There is also an increase in the number of families being offered a place at one of their preferred schools – 96% compared with 95% last year.