DCSIMG

People in Northampton urged to reduce fire risk ahead of Christmas Eve strike

editorial image

editorial image

People in Northampton are being reminded to reduce the risk of fire in their homes during the festive period as firefighters are due to go on strike on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.

As a result of the on-going national dispute with the Government, the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) has announced that they intend to take further industrial action on December 24, between 7pm and midnight, between 6.30pm on December 31 to 12.30am on January 1 and between 6.30am and 8.30am on Friday, January 3.

A spokesman for Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service said contingency plans had been put in place to ensure disruption was kept to a minimum.

Head of community services Mark Ainge said: “We have contingency plans in place and will be continuing to respond to emergencies, but this is a testing time for fire and rescue services across the country so anything that can be done to reduce the risk of fire is definitely a good idea.

“Resources may be stretched so we would also like to remind people that as always, only call 999 in an emergency.”

For more advice about how to reduce the risks of fire, people can visit www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/fire.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page