The county’s chief fire officer has said he hopes to avoid further industrial action after a planned five-hour strike by firefighters in Northamptonshire this weekend was called off.
The strike had been due to take place on Saturday but the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) said the decision came after progress in talks over pensions.
The Government wants firefighters to work up to the age of 60 but union bosses said that would be too old to safely tackle major blazes.
The FBU said it had been presented with a similar deal that ensured safeguards about working between the ages of 55 and 60.
It means firefighters will be able to retire on a full pension between these ages if they are not fit enough and no other role can be found.
Negotiations will now take place between ministers and Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service about how this will be funded.
Following the announcement, Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Chief Fire Officer Martyn Emberson said: “We have been working to ensure our emergency response service could continue during any period of industrial action. The Fire Brigades Union has confirmed that tomorrow’s strike action has been postponed, this means that our contingencies will not be necessary and that it will be business as usual for us.
“We are aware that this is a temporary postponement of strike action while the FBU seeks further discussion with the government but we remain hopeful that a resolution will be achieved soon.
“We would like to thank the public and local businesses for taking extra precautions, we have had many enquires over the last week for additional advice and guidance and we have also been providing information on both our website and social media sites.
“This safety advice is always relevant so we urge people to stay safe.”