DCSIMG

Northampton family lose everything in fire which destroyed their home

Waiting for Video...
 

A family of four, who lost everything in a fire, have been rehomed in a house with no furniture, no gas and a bare concrete floor.

Tara Heasman, her partner, Lee, and their two small children were this week rehoused after a blaze, caused by a fire in a fuse box, ravaged their home in minutes.

After the incident last week, the family was moved from their gutted home in Bellinge to a hostel, before being placed in an empty council-owned house in Harefield Road, Blackthorn.

The family have been given no indication as to how long they will have to stay in the house which has no means of heating, made worse by a bare concrete floor.

Northampton Borough Council have since provided some basic furniture, such as beds, a fridge and a microwave, and friends have set up a Facebook support page appealing for donations food and essentials.

Miss Heasman said: “I have £60 to live off for the rest of the month and have only been able to feed my children pasta for days.

“We are very grateful for the bits that have been donated, even by strangers.

“Bur the council have given us no information as yet about how this could have happened or what’s going to happen next.

“We’ve had little contact and feel like we are being pushed to the side, as if they are trying to hide any responsibility.”

The incident happened last Wednesday when Miss Heasman heard “popping” noises coming from the fuse box.

She said: “I could see little black bits coming out of it and, when I opened it, it was on fire.

“I grabbed the dog and ran out of the house screaming for help.

“The fire service was there in about 10 minutes, but by then the fire had spread through the whole house and everything was ruined.”

Miss Heasman, who lost all her possessions in the fire, including two pet birds, said: “It might sound a bit silly but I am confused and heartbroken and I just don’t have a clue what to do now.

“It’s been really hard being cooped up with nothing. We had been living in the house for four years – it’s the house my children grew up in and they keep asking when they can go home.

“Luckily they were at school at the time, but I still get nightmares about what could have happened if they had been in the house.”

A spokesperson for Northampton Borough Council said: “The most important thing is that everyone is safe and Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue were able to contain the fire.

“We are still assessing the damage to the property and the repairs needed to allow the family to move back in.

“We don’t want to see Miss Heasman and her family living in temporary accommodation for any longer than is necessary, and will be keeping the family updated on what is happening and how we can support them.”

Tara Heasman said firefighters who attended the blaze at her Bellinge home told her the fire in her fuse box could not have been caused by overloading plug sockets – which would automatically make fuses blow – but could not confirm a cause for the fire.

She added: “I know there is a history of house fires in this area and I would urge anyone in a council house to make sure they get proper, regular checks.”

To offer any support to Miss Heasman, visit Facebook page Donations for Susan and Dillon Dixon.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page