A mum is appealing to find a mystery woman who saved her son’s life after he choked on a boiled sweet, handed out by staff at a supermarket.
Six-year-old Charlie Phipps, from Timken, was helping his mother, Rebecca, do the shopping at Waitrose in Daventry on Saturday, September 28 when store staff gave him a hard-boiled sweet.
The boy started to choke before a member of public stepped in to save him. Waitrose has since admitted it had made an ‘error of judgement’ in giving him a sweet.
Mrs Phipps said: “It was around 11.30am and we were walking around the store. All of a sudden, in the chiller aisle, Charlie started to choke.
“I didn’t know what was going on because I hadn’t realised he’d been given a sweet and his face turned from red to white.
“He just couldn’t breathe, it was horrific,” Mrs Phipps added.
Mrs Phipps was in a state of panic when a member of the public, who said she ran a playgroup, began to help young Charlie.
She said: “A lady came out of nowhere and took charge. She told me not to worry and that she would sort it.
“She took complete control and told me how to hold Charlie’s head to dislodge the sweet.
“She managed to remove it so that he could breathe again, but if it hadn’t been for her I don’t know what would have happened.
“She saved his life without question. I am so grateful,” she added.
Mrs Phipps said when her son was choking she did not take in anything the mystery lady said, including her name.
She would now like to contact her so that she and Charlie can say thank you personally for her actions. Waitrose would also like to present her with a bottle of champagne.
Waitrose department manager, Stephen Walker, said: “We’re very sorry this happened. We’ve spoken to Charlie’s mother to apologise personally.
“Handing out boiled sweets was an error of judgment and we’ve taken action to make absolutely sure this won’t happen again,” Mr Walker added.
If you are the lady who helped Charlie please contact the Chronicle & Echo newsdesk on 01604 467032 or email email@example.com so you can be put in touch with the Phipps family.