A large fire at an electrical substation in Far Cotton caused a blackout across the area in the early hours of this morning (Wednesday).
The fire started at the substation in Delapre Street, Northampton just after 1am this morning.
Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service received an emergency call at 1.07am and firefighters from Mereway and the Mounts attended the incident.
Nearby resident Ali Feets said: “It was huge. There was a large tree close by that also caught fire but Northants fire did a great job.”
The fire caused a power cut to 1,090 properties in the area.
A spokesman for Western Power Distribution (WPD) said engineeers attending the scene ‘very quicky’.
Via Twitter, Sophie Tomblin said: “Power cut all across Far Cotton. Massive black cloud of smoke over past St Leonard’s Road.”
Power was restored to the majority of homes within an hour, although 180 properties were without power until 6.40am.
A WPD spokesman said: “We carried out temporary repairs. It’s unlikely there will be any further disruption.”
A spokesman for Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue said this morning that the fire was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.
Firefighters were tackling the blaze for around two hours.