The tragic and sudden death of a toddler who fell ill with a tummy ache, was due to natural causes, an inquest has heard.
Two-year-old Salma Omar Abdala died on March 11, 2013, shortly after going into cardiac arrest at her home in Castle Street, Northampton.
Her parents, Abdirisaag Hasan and Nimo Hersi, called emergency services shortly before 5pm after Salma complained of a tummy ache and had spent the day and night vomiting.
As she began drifting in and out of consciousness, they tried to revive her, but Salma had already stopped breathing when the ambulance arrived.
The inquest heard that Ms Hersi became upset, saying: “We said she was ill but they didn’t listen.”
Salma was taken to Northampton General Hospital with her mother at 5.26pm. Salma died some time later.
Paediatric pathologist, Dr Roger Malcolmson, said a post mortem examination suggested Salma had died of ischemia (lack of blood supply to tissue) following a perforation to her large bowel, but he could not identify a cause.
Salma’s parents had taken her to Maple Access Partnership Surgery in Northampton at noon after she had been sick in the night, but she was diagnosed at the time with gastroenteritis .
Maple Access GP, Dr Anjali Bansal, said: “This is very unusual, I haven’t seen anything like this before. It is quite a shock.”
Mr Hasan and Ms Hersi, who also have a five-year-old daughter named Anfa, said: “We miss her very much and don’t know what happened.”
Northamptonshire assistant coroner Rodney Hague said: “This is a very sad case of issues which nobody could have foreseen.”