Lightning strike blew up TV and caused major fire in Northamptonshire house

A house in Harpole has been damged by fire after it was hit by lightning
A house in Harpole has been damged by fire after it was hit by lightning
0
Have your say

A house in the village of Harpole, near Northampton, has been severely damaged by a fire after a lightning strike hit the roof of the property.

Firefighters were called out to the home in Sandy Lane at 8pm last night (Thursday) after the blaze started in the roof.

The lightening caused the television set in the living room to catch fire

The lightening caused the television set in the living room to catch fire

Sim Malagni, who lives in the house with his mum Catherine, said the lightning bolt tore through the roof and into the electrical wiring of the house.

Mr Malagni said his mother had just returned home when she saw the lid of her internet router blow off.

He said: “I was at the gym in St Crispin and someone said to me ‘did you see that lightning?’.

“My mum then rang me screaming and said the house is on fire. When I got back I went up to the loft, but it was too late.

The lightning bolt tore through the roof of the property in Harpole

The lightning bolt tore through the roof of the property in Harpole

“The 10 minutes waiting for the fire service felt like an eternity, but they were really good and contained the fire quite quickly.”

The blaze has caused severe damage to the loft and, as a result of a TV set in the living room catching fire, the downstairs of the property has also suffered smoke damage.

Mr Malagni revealed that his mother was intending to sell the property and was worried she may not have insurance cover for the fire.