FRONTING on the River Nene just to the north of Little Irchester are the Victoria Mills.
This purposeful looking building was built in 1866 and certainly reflects the industrial architecture of that period. The whole complex was greatly enlarged during the last century and until 1969 grain was transported here by narrowboat. Whitworth Bros Ltd still mills flour here today but the river is no longer busy with narrowboats carrying grain. The boats using these stretches of the upper Nene are now mainly pleasure craft.
To the south of the mills, between the river and Wollaston Lodge, and to the north of Irchester, close to the 17th century Chester House, Roman remains have been unearthed. While the name Chester denotes its Roman connections, it is generally thought that the name Irchester is derived from the Anglo-Saxon name of Iren Ceastre meaning iron fortress. Four hundred Saxon graves were discovered during excavations for ironstone. This was a major industry here until 1941 and provided regular work for the village residents. Since the workings closed much tree planting has taken place and in 1971 the Irchester Country Park was established where previously blasting and digging had taken place on a huge scale.