Nurses who left pensioners at Northampton care home malnourished with bones exposed found guilty of neglect

GV of Parkside House Nursing Home on St Matthew's Parade. 

GV of Parkside House Nursing Home on St Matthew's Parade. NEWS, NEWSDESK. 090804SL10

Five nurses have been found guilty by a misconduct panel of neglect at a Northampton care home where pensioners lived on porridge and had pressure sores so deep their bones were exposed.

The abuse came to light after five elderly people died in a two-week period at Parkside House Nursing Home in St Matthew’s Parade.

Home manager Phyllis Johnson and nurses Anastacia Madulu, Girlie Franklin, Maria McKenzie, and Mary Ombui, were yesterday found guilty by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of failing to provide basic care to 10 residents between them.

Home manager Johnson was also found guilty of failing to report the deaths of three residents to the Care and Quality Commission watchdog, failing to provide nutritious meals to residents and failing to ensure her staff were adequately trained.

Five residents aged between 83 and 100 died at Parkside House, between July 22 and August 6, 2009, after being left malnourished, immobile in bed, and with severe pressure sores.

Independent healthcare manager Karen Stagg undertook an assessment of some of the residents on July 24. She reported a series of fundamental failings, including staff who could not use basic equipment, residents fed ‘mainly porridge’ and meaningless care plans that were out of date.

Madulu, who represented herself at the hearing, and Ombui, admitted all allegations against them on the basis that deputy manager McKenzie prevented them from providing basic treatment.

McKenzie and Franklin were found guilty of the bulk of the charges relating to the residents, including failing to provide adequate care.

But the pair were cleared of charges including not completing nutrition risk assessments for certain residents, failing to monitor the weight of some residents and not using documentation to help monitor care.

Johnson, who denied all the charges, did not attend the Old Bailey hearing and has now retired to Trinidad.

She was found guilty of the majority of the charges against her, but cleared of failing to review procedures and policies at the home and failing to notify the CQC when some of residents were admitted to hospital.

If the panel find today that the neglect amounts to misconduct, the nurses could face being barred from the profession.




Back to the top of the page