Inspectors have found a Northampton dental surgery had medical equipment that expired up to a decade ago.
Care Quality Commission inspectors said they found Grey Friars Dental, in Abington Avenue, Abington, had breached safety and cleanliness guidelines when they visited on July 23 this year.
Their report said: “We looked at emergency equipment within the practice and found that a cannula that was ready to deliver injectable emergency drugs expired in 2003 and winged infusion sets expired in 2004.
“Most of the dental instruments were in date and had been packaged appropriately, however we found syringes that expired in 2010, needles that expired in 2009 and single use needles that expired in 2011.
“This meant people were at risk of receiving unsafe care or treatment because the provider had not maintained the equipment.”
Inspectors also found that the practice had adrenalin and two items of anaesthetic that expired in March 2013.
A nurse told the inspectors that replacements had been ordered but could not show them any evidence.
Inspectors also found that gauze which would be in people’s mouths following surgery was stained, which meant there was “a risk the equipment was unsuitable for use”.
The report also said two items were missing from the surgery’s emergency medical kit.
It added: “This meant that people would not receive the medication they required in a medical emergency.”
A room marked ‘private’ was also found to have mould growing on the wall and water running down it.
A lightfitting in the room was also filled with dirty water, leading inspectors to say the electrics in the premises were “dangerous”.
The CQC took enforcement action over the cleanliness and infection control issues as well as over the safety and suitability of the premises. It also said action was needed over management of medicines as well as the safety, availability and suitability of equipment.
However, the surgery met three other standards, fees, records and care and welfare of patients.
The Chron yesterday contacted Dr Abiodun Bamgbelu, the registered provider at the surgery and he strongly disputed the CQC’s findings.