Firefighters were called to a large blaze at a car repair centre on Wednesday night.
The fire started at JPS Commercials Automotive works in Horsley Road, Queens Park, shortly before 9pm.
Four fire engines were in attendance and the blaze was brought under control by 11pm.
People living in the area were urged to keep their doors and windows closed as there was believed to be asbestos in the roof of the building and gas cylinders.
A spokesman for Northants Fire & Rescue said an evacuation of the Horsley Road area was considered but it was decided it was not necessary.
A spokesman said: “We would advise people living in the area to keep windows and doors shut.
“We had the police and the Red Cross in attendance in case an evacuation was needed.”
The gas cylinders that may be affected by the blaze contain acetylene, a colourless gas mixed with oxygen and used for welding.
Video footage courtesy of @HopperEllis, picture courtesy of @tomkwebb