A 41-year-old man who died in a Northampton nightclub was a 'happy, caring hard worker who will be sadly missed,' a coroner heard.
Vincent Lovell died when he fell from the top of a staircase at Retro Bar, in Bridge Street, Northampton town centre, on a night out last year.
The coroner heard how Vicent's friend fought to save his life.
Vincent was out with a colleague from Northampton General Hospital, where he worked as a porter, on May 28 2016.
David Button, who was with him on the night, said in a statement read out by the coroner: "It was around 1.50am. I went to the bar to get a drink while Vinnie went to use the toilet, which was down a staircase.
"I didn't see him fall, but when I turned around he was lying at the bottom of the stairs. He was bleeding heavily from his head."
David ran to his friend and began CPR until paramedics arrived at around 1:55am.
Despite attempts to resuscitate him, Vincent died at 2:46am.
Vincent was born and raised in Northampton. He had worked for 15 years as a theatre porter at Northampton General Hospital and had also been a steward at Northampton Saints, where he used his skills to look after disabled fans for 10 years.
His mother, Gill Lovell, said in a statement read out by the coroner: "We saw him that afternoon before he went out. We had fish and chips together as a family and I drove him to the cash point before he went out.
"He was a happy, caring and hard working son, brother and uncle. He will be sadly missed."
Retro Bar management, in a statement posted on their Facebook page shortly after the accident, said: “Today we mourn the loss of our good friend, customer and colleague who died in a tragic and devastating accident in the early hours of the morning at Retro Bar. The management, staff and all associated with Retro are deeply saddened by this accidental and tragic incident.
“Vincent Lovell known to us as our Vinnie was a popular figure at Retro Bar who would often visit and was always greeted with fondness from the staff due to his kind nature and warm caring heart. The staff and management at Retro Bar fought desperately to give immediate medical assistance in the hope of helping Vinnie.
“The staff at Retro Bar are extremely shocked and traumatised by this terrible incident but managed to perform professionally throughout this ordeal.
“To the family and friends and all who had the pleasure of knowing Vinnie we offer our sincere condolences for your loss."