Wootton murder suspect Anxiang Du appears in court

Murder suspect Anxiang Du arriving at Northampton Magistrates.

Murder suspect Anxiang Du arriving at Northampton Magistrates.


Quadruple murder suspect Anxiang Du has appeared before Northampton Magistrates’ Court.

He arrived back in the UK yesterday afternoon following his extradition from Morocco.

Du arrived in court wearing a white hooded top, flanked by two armed officers.

During the hearing, which lasted less than 10 minutes, and in front of a courtroom packed with police, detectives and reporters, Du spoke through a Mandarin interpreter to confirm his name, date of birth and address before the four murder charges were put to him.

The Coventry businessman looked nervous in the dock and spoke hesitantly as he confirmed his details to the court.

The clerk told the 54-year-old he appeared in court today facing four allegations of murder, dating back to April 29, 2011.

District Judge Tim Daber then adjourned the case to a further hearing at Northampton Crown Court tomorrow morning.

Addressing Du, he said: “The four charges of murder you face can only be dealt with at the crown court and I now formally send you to Northampton Crown Court to stand trial there in due course.

“There will be a hearing there tomorrow to consider the question of bail and you will be remanded into custody until then.

“You will not be produced at the hearing tomorrow as I understand it is unlikely an application will be made on your behalf.”

He added: “Mr Du, that is all for today, if you will go with the officers now please.”

Du was then led back down to the cells in Campbell Square police station.

His next appearance will be at Northampton Crown Court on March 15.

Du had earlier arrived at the court with five armed police officers and a coat covering his head to face charges of murdering four members of the same family in Wootton in 2011.

He stands accused of stabbing to death Jifeng Ding, his wife, Helen Chui, and their two young children, Xing, aged 18, and Alice, aged 12.

They are alleged to have been killed inside their home, in Pioneer Close, Simpson Manor, on April 29, 2011, the day of the Royal Wedding.

Officers remained inside the court building, as well as in the dock, this morning.

The judge had earlier told Du he could remain standing during the hearing if it helped him to hear his interpreter.

He sat throughout, however, listening to the Mandarin interpreter, nodding his head as she spoke.

His appearance came after he was arrested by police in Morocco in July last year following a police operation which lasted 14 months.

Du was found sleeping rough on a construction site in the Beni Makada suburb of Tangiers, sheltering on the floor of a draughty room in a partly-built block of flats.

The court heard this morning how he had been formally arrested by UK police yesterday evening after he arrived at Heathrow Airport on a commercial flight from Casablanca at 3.50pm.


Back to the top of the page