The father of a University of Northampton student accused of murdering a teenager abroad, has called for the proceedings to be stopped as he claims there is no case against his son.
One year on from the fatal stabbing of Tyrrell Matthews-Burton on the holiday island of Crete, 20-year-old Myles Litchmore Dunbar stands as the only man accused, even though three bloody knives were recovered in relation to the crime.
The tragic incident happened during a 30-man brawl outside a nightclub in the tourist village of Malia.
But while 19 Brits were arrested that night, only the Northampton-based economics student was charged with murder.
On July 24, he passed his first year in a Greek prison, with no sign of a trial date being set in the near future.
This week his father, 50-year-old Chris Dunbar, issued a heartfelt plea to the country’s authorities to drop the case.
He said: “There has been a series of mistakes and errors, they have mishandled the whole thing.
“It’s a year on and they have got nothing new in terms of evidence. We have even flown over independent witnesses, but the authorities have paid them no regard.
“The police closed the investigation after 24 hours, but there was 19 people arrested.
“There were three knives and they were all bloody. How can Myles have been carrying all three?”
The prosecution case against Mr Litchmore-Dunbar, from Lewisham, has it that a bloodied knife was found in a trainer in his hotel room following the brawl.
Other rumours have alleged he knew the deceased, that he was seen near the body in the aftermath of the incident and that he had blood on his shirt.
But the economics student, who once campaigned to keep Lewisham Hospital open, said the knife belonged to someone else and claimed he was actually trying to break up the brawl as someone he knew was involved.
Mr Dunbar said if the case against his son was not dropped then the trial should at least be held on home soil.
“The system out there is flawed,” he said. “Our lawyers told us the courts very rarely challenge what the police say.
“I have no confidence in the Greek judicial system.
“There’s concerns around CCTV, concerns around witness statements and forensic evidence.”
The family have questioned why the clothes of Tyrell Matthews Burton were returned to his family shortly after the stabbing and not retained by the Greek authorities to be used as vital evidence.
Hilary Brown, of Virgo Consultancy Services, part of Myles’ British legal representation, said: “The evidence is poor to say the least. The careless handling of vital forensic evidence and interviewing of witnesses is inexcusable.
“We are not aiming to do the work of the Crete Police for them, but we will show the authorities the serious flaws in their investigation and see that the charges against Myles are dropped.”
Mr Dunbar, who works in local government procurements, said the effect on the family, which includes Myles’ four siblings, had been devastating.
They have spent more than £40,000 on legal fees and travelling to and from Greece so far.
More than 5,000 people have signed a petition to see the British authorities intervene in the investigation at: you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/british-police-protect-your-citizens-abroad