DCSIMG

Seventh cat found dead in Northampton after suspected anti-freeze poisoning

Poppy, one of the cats that were poisoned with anti-freeze NNL-140626-121502001

Poppy, one of the cats that were poisoned with anti-freeze NNL-140626-121502001

The cat owner who has lost seven of her pets after they were poisoned with anti-freeze says their deaths have been “horrendous”.

Six cats belonging to Tracy Benjamin, of Obelsisk Rise, died between May 10 and June 8.

A post mortem test on one of the cats found dead in May revealed that it had died of kidney failure due to ingesting antifreeze. The other cats all displayed the same symptoms and it is believed they must have come into contact with antifreeze too.

Today (Thursday), dog walkers found another cat belonging to Mrs Benjamin lying dead in a field near her garden.

Mrs Benjamin said: “Penny was an fit and healthy cat a few days ago and now she has suddenly died.

“It is absolutely horrendous. Everytime I think it is safe to let the cats out another one dies.

“The poisoning is just so unnecessary. I know not everyone is a cat lover but my pets have suffered, horrific, painful deaths.”

Sergeants Wyn Hughes, who is leading the investigation into the cat poisonings, has advised cat owners to be particularly vigilant and appealed for householders in the area to check for any accidental spillage of antifreeze.

Mr Hughes said: “If anybody sees or has seen anything suspicious in the Obelisk Rise area, I urge them to come forward and contact us on 101.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page