Bridge Street in Northampton has been ranked as the third worst road in the UK for the number of thefts and robberies, according to new figures.
Data compiled by Freedom of Information requests to all the police forces in Britain has revealed there were 532 reported incidents of ‘personal theft’, including bag snatching, mobile phone thefts and pickpocketing in Bridge Street in the past three years.
Nationally, the majority of theft from a person happens in daylight and incidents are most likely to take place on Saturdays, with one in five of all thefts from a person taking place between noon and 3pm,
Saturday nights when the pubs close is the second most common time, with 17 per cent of thefts taking place between 11pm on a Saturday and 2am on a Sunday.
The data was collected from 37 of 51 police forces in the UK. The Metropolitan Police did not respon so all London streets are excluded.
Selwyn Fernandes, managing director of LV= Home Insurance, who compiled the data, said; “The continued popularity of small gadgets, which have a high value and can be easily sold on, has led to an increasing number of personal thefts in recent years.
“With an average bag and contents worth around £316, they are a tempting target for most thieves. Theft away from the home is not covered as standard on most home insurance policies and it is worth checking that you have the right cover for your belongings should the worst happen.”
The full list of UK streets and the number of reported thefts or robberies in the past three years:
1. Call Lane, Leeds (969 incidents) West Yorkshire Police
2. Victoria Centre, Nottingham (812 incidents) by Nottinghamshire Police
3. Bridge Street, Northampton (532 incidents) Northamptonshire Police
4. West Street, Sheffield (379 incidents) South Yorkshire Police
5. Promenade, Blackpool (126 incidents) Lancashire Constabulary
6. The Luton Arndale Shopping Centre (87 incidents) Bedfordshire Police
7. English Street, Carlisle (73 incidents) Cumbria Constabulary
8. High Street, Chatham (60 incidents) Kent Police
9. Beverley Road, Hull (47 incidents) Humberside Police
10. Lammas Street, Carmarthen (10 incidents) Dyfed-Powys Police Heddlu Dyfed Powys