An 82-year-old man from Northampton has appeared in court charged with two breaches of his sexual offences prevention order.
Bernard Craithorne, aged 82, of St Davids, Northampton, is alleged to have refused to let police officers, responsible for managing him as he is on the sexual offenders register, access to his home in order to assess his risk.
Craithorne is also charged with becoming involved in a local residents’ association which he was prohibited from doing under the terms of his sexual offences prevention order made at Northampton Crown Court in September 2007s.
Northampton Magistrates’ Court heard allegations that Craithorne refused to let officers into his home on August 21 last year.
Matthew Thomas, prosecuting, said the officers waited outside his property and allegedly witnessed a man called Paul Spokes come out of his home carrying a laptop.
Mr Thomas said it was also alleged that Craithorne attended meetings of the St David’s Resident’s Association that are held at the local children’s centre.
Craithorne, who appeared in court on Tuesday, pleaded not guilty to both charges against him. Magistrates declined jurisdiction and the case was sent to Northampton Crown Court. The next hearing will take place in November.
Paul Spokes, of Lawrence Court in Northampton town centre, appeared in Northampton Magistrates’ Court on Thursday charged with being in possession of a laptop computer and mobile phones, something he was prohibited from doing under the terms of a sexual offences prevention order made at Northampton Crown Court in July 2010.
Spokes did not enter a plea to the charge. Magistrates declined jurisdiction in the case and it was sent to Northampton Crown Court. The next hearing will take place in November.