DCSIMG

Northampton drink-driver banned after hitting central reservation and driving on

editorial image

editorial image

A Northampton man was banned for driving for two years after he drove his Fiat Punto home drunk from a party and collided with a central reservation.

Zachary Taylor, 28, of Overslade Close, Merefield, was stopped by police after officers witnessed him driving suspiciously slow on Cressford Road in the town late on February 22.

Taylor collided with a cental reservation, before reversing and carrying on - only to then turn right in front of oncoming traffic into a car park.

Police stopped him in the car park and after breathalysing Taylor, found him to be more than twice over the legal limit.

When taken to the Criminal Justice Centre in Brackmills, Taylor was then ‘abusive’ to staff.

He pleaded guilty to a charge of driving a motor vehicle while over the limit and to engaging in violent behaviour in a police station at Northampton Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

District judge Tim Daber disqualified Taylor for 22 months and imposed a fine of £165 on him.

He said: “You were well over the legal limit, it was made worse by the fact that you were in collision with the central reservation.

“You were in no fit condition to be driving.

“I think this is serious enough for a community order, but I’m prepared to impose a fine as an alternative to that.”

In mitigation duty solicitor Simon Campbell said Taylor accepted that he was over the prescribed driving limit.

He said his client had been at a party and had only recently separated with his partner.

He added that Taylor ‘deeply regretted’ his actions and had lost his job as a driver for brewing giants Carlsberg as a result.

Taylor was also required to pay £85 costs and a surcharge of £20. He can reduce the driving ban if he attends drink awareness courses by June 2015.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page