The lead officer in the Mark Ellson murder trial said the defendant was a “cold, calculating” man who carried out a “senseless killing” of a defenceless pensioner.
Ellson, aged 41, was convicted of the murder of Giuseppe Miceli by a jury at Northampton Crown Court today.
Mr Miceli, aged 71, was killed by Ellson at his home in Bants Lane, Duston on July 12 last year. He hit him over the head repeatedly with a mallet, fracturing his skull.
Detective Inspector Louise Hemingway said: “We welcome the verdict of the court today. Mark Ellson is a dangerous individual who knew full well the potential consequences of his actions in July, when he went to steal from Joe Miceli.
“This was an absolutely senseless killing of a vulnerable, elderly man in his own home.
“Ellson acted in a cold and calculating manner and has shown no remorse for what he has done. He sought to diminish his responsibility by attempting to blame Joe for causing the assault which killed him.
“I hope he now has the opportunity to reflect on what he has done, accepts responsibility for his actions and shows some remorse for taking away a life in such a cruel manner.
“I hope this brings some closure to the family and they can gain some comfort from the verdict today.”
Judge Rupert Mayo has retired to consider his sentence, having told Ellson the only one he can pass is one of life imprisonment. He will now set a minimum term the killer will spend behind bars.