DCSIMG

Two cows died after eating Chinese lantern

News

News

A farmer has appealed for people in Northamptonshire to stop using Chinese lanterns after two of his cows died from eating the wire frames.

Matt Knight, who owns a farm near Walgrave, lost two of his Aberdeen Angus cattle last week after they suffered internal bleeding as a result of eating wire.

Mr Knight believes the wire came from a Chinese lantern that landed in one of his fields and was then combined, baled and later fed to the cattle.

He said: “Our only explanation on how they came to eat the wire is through the barley straw that they ate.

“While the crop had been growing in the fields we picked up numerous Chinese lanterns that had been let off during the spring and summer and we are assuming that we missed one.”

Mr Knight said he had noticed an increasing amount of Chinese lanterns in his fields during the past year and wanted to warn the public about the problems they can cause.

He said: “My insurance doesn’t cover the cows’ deaths and it’s cost me about £2,000.”

In July, Mark Ainge, Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service’s head of community services, said it was “only a matter of time” before Chinese lanterns caused a serious incident in the county.

He said: “We don’t want to be killjoys, but we do have serious concerns over the use of these lanterns and strongly advise everyone to act responsibly.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page